Happy Valentine's Day!
As a special treat, I am offering you a little 'Lemon Love Cake' which I hope you enjoy.
I'm also entering it for the new Alphabakes challenge run by Ros at 'The more than occasional baker' and Caroline Makes the letter is 'L' and that means Luuuurrrve!
Lemon Love Cakes
125g (4 1/2 oz) butter
125g (4 1/2 oz) caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 1/2 large lemon (keeping the zest of the remaining 1/2 lemon for the lemon icing)
2 eggs, beaten
150g (5oz) s-r flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, line a fairy cake tin or muffin tin with paper cases (you will get more cakes if you use the fairy cake tin, but they will be smaller)
2. Cream the butter in a bowl until soft. Add the sugar and lemon zest and beat until fluffy. Add the beaten eggs a bit at at time, then add the sifted flour and baking powder into the mixture.
3. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for 7-10 minutes, until risen and golden. Remove cakes to a baking tray and let them cool completely before icing.
75g (3oz) butter
175g (6oz) icing sugar, sifted
finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
2-3 tsp squeezed lemon juice
1. Cream the butter until soft, sift the icing sugar into the butter with the lemon zest and enough lemon juice to get the right consistency for piping or spreading.
2. When the cupcakes have cooled completely, put the butter icing into a piping bag with a large star nozzle an pipe swirls onto the cupcakes. Alternately, spread a large teaspoonful over the top with a palette knife.
3. Sprinkle some love over the cupcakes in the form of some little pink hearts!